Friday, October 14, 2011

“Courageous”, a Movie Review


On October 6 I had the opportunity to go see Courageous in theaters with the men of Magnolia Bible Church.  This was a movie that I have been greatly looking forward to seeing, that being said, I was not disappointed!

            Courageous is the newest production of Sherwood Baptist Church out of Albany, GA.  These are the creators of Flywheel, Facing the Giants, and Fireproof (Oh no they brought an end to the filming of movies that start with the letter F!). All jokes aside, there is no doubt that Sherwood Baptist Church has done something remarkable by not running from Hollywood, but infiltrating, showing courage even before the filming of this movie.  For those of you who think it isn’t a big deal, I just want to help you realize that this was the fourth largest grossing film on opening weekend, and its actors aren’t asking for 10 million dollars plus each.

            Prior to going into seeing the movie, I had been warned by a few friends that it was a movie that would make me cry.  What most of these friends didn’t realize is that I had taken the opportunity to peruse through the novelization of the screen play written by Randy Alcorn a few weeks back, so I thought I knew what I was getting into.  Again, I want to reiterate that I thought I knew what I was getting into.

            Watching the film, even with a group of guys, didn’t stop the shedding of tears, and the hearty laughter that came out of me.  There is no doubt that Courageous is one movie that will definitely send you on an emotional roller coaster.  Yet it was more than just an emotional roller coaster, it was a call, a challenge, for change.  The question is; who will hear? 

            With all I can muster I would encourage all men to go see this movie.  We all know that it is time for us to rise to the challenge and lead our families in their relationship with God.  Are you willing? If you can see it with other men in your Church go.  Take your families, even with the PG-13 rating this is a movie I would be comfortable taking my young children to.   After you have seen the movie, go to your local Christian Bookstore, or on-line, and get your men to participate in the Courageous Bible Study.  A four week study, that is well worth the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment